UM EAlert - Dearborn - 4:25 pm - Due to the inclement weather, all evening classes are pivoting online or are canceled. Check with your professor. Beginning at 6 pm all on-campus activities are canceled. Library services available virtually. Please check for additional information.

The following are policies governing CASL's Independent Studies:

What is an Independent Study?

An Independent Study is an individually designed course that requires some up-front work on the part of a student and a faculty member.  Together they develop a learning plan and objectives; this development effort takes place prior to the beginning of the term, so that the projected work can begin as the term begins.

Who may elect an Independent Study?

Only students with Junior, Senior or Graduate standing may sign up for an Independent Study course.

Are there credit limits on Independent Studies?

The number of credit hours associated with each independent study course and the number of times such a course may be repeated varies from course to course.  Check the Academic Catalog for details.  

Please note that the maximum number of credit hours toward graduation that a student may count through Independent Study work, Independent Research, Internship Assignments and Cooperative Education courses is eighteen.

Are there Independent Studies in the Summer?

Summer Independent Studies must be conducted over the full summer semester (May-August).

Who may supervise an Independent Study?

Independent Study supervision is restricted to full time faculty (tenured, tenure-track, and LEO Ills and IVs).

What is the process?

Once an agreement has been worked out with the instructor, it is the student's responsibility to initiate the Independent Study Contract form.  This is a PDF form (see link at bottom of page) and requires the use of Adobe Reader.  Adobe Reader can be downloaded free at:

The student completes the student section of the form and emails it to his faculty collaborator.  The faculty member will upload the contract details, sign the form, and relay it to his department chair. 

In order to qualify for credit, all independent study contracts must be submitted to the Dean's Office no later than the end of the drop/add period.  This assures there is ample time for the department to review, approve, and forward the submitted contract to the Dean's Office.

Once the form has the requisite signatures, the student will be contacted by CASL Advising & Academic Success office with the approval to register.


Open the form using Adobe Reader.  If you do not have Adobe Reader, you can download a free copy at

Back to top of page