UM EAlert - Dearborn - 4:25 pm - Due to the inclement weather, all evening classes are pivoting online or are canceled. Check with your professor. Beginning at 6 pm all on-campus activities are canceled. Library services available virtually. Please check for additional information.

International Admissions


The University of Michigan-Dearborn is committed to building a diverse learning community, and welcomes applications from qualified international students and from U.S. citizens or permanent residents who have international backgrounds.   

For the most up-to-date information related to the Coronavirus Pandemic, please visit the International Website.

Information on Visas

Applicants who plan to enroll as an F1 or J1 visa student must provide additional information to the Office of International Affairs, who manages the student visa process and Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). 

For more information about study and exchange visas including approximate appointment wait times with your nearest embassy or consulate, please visit the U.S. Department of State website.

For questions related to visas, I-20s, international orientation, course selection, and other international related questions, contact the Office of International Affairs at

F and J Visas

If you are already in the U.S. studying on an F-1 visa, you must submit a copy of your current I-20 form (front and back), a copy of your I-94 card, and a copy of the F-1 visa page of your passport. Students currently outside the U.S. who plan to obtain an F-1 visa from abroad for use in entering the U.S. should write “plan to obtain F-1” in the “Type of Visa” section on the application form.

In addition to basic admission requirements, the following are also required. Please contact the Office of International Affairs for further details.

  • Full Financial Support Information (Required for F and J Visa Students only)

    If you have or are planning to obtain an F or J visa, you must submit documentation indicating that you (or your sponsor) have sufficient funds to support your education at UM-Dearborn. Estimated annual expenses are $44,000 U.S. All supporting documents must show that you or your financial supporter has at least $44,000 U.S. dollars available.

    You must submit the Affidavit of Financial Support form and an original bank certification (in English) from your financial supporter, converted to U.S. dollars, showing that the account balance of the financial supporter is at least $44,000 (per academic year) to cover the tuition, fees, and living expenses you will incur while attending UM-Dearborn.

    Financial aid is not available to students on F or J visas. Therefore, you must demonstrate full financial support before a UM-Dearborn I-20 form can be issued for you. Also, all F and J visa students must have health insurance that meets U-M requirements for yourself and any accompanying F-2 or J-2 dependents during the entire time you are enrolled. If you have health insurance that provides coverage that is comparable to the U-M Health International Student/Scholar Health Insurance Plan, you can request a waiver for the health insurance requirement. 

  • Health Insurance
  • SEVIS DS-2019 Request Form (J Visa Students only)
  • Transfer Student Clearance document (required if student has a previous SEVIS I-20)
Special Information for Canadians
  • If you are a Canadian residing in the U.S. during your full course of study (12 or more credit hours), you must submit all documentation to the Admissions Office as if you were applying for an F-1 visa. The I-20 will be issued for the duration of the program of study.
  • If you are a Canadian residing in Canada, you need to submit a financial document showing support for one semester.  A Commuter I-20 will be issued for one semester at a time. Commuter Canadian Students do not receive some of the F-1 benefits.
  • All Canadian students present the I-20 and other documents (i.e. passport) at the border, but they do not need to apply for a visa. The border will issue an I-94 document.
Other Visa Students, Refugees, and Asylees

If you are currently in the U.S. as a refugee, asylee, or on a temporary visa other than the F-1 student visa (such as F-2, B-2, H-4, etc.), you must provide a copy of the identification page of your passport (name and photo) and a copy of the page containing the stamp which indicates your current status in the U.S. If you wish to change to F-1 status as you begin attending UM-Dearborn, please indicate this on your application. 

Select your student type:

Additional Information

Definition of Terms

Domestic: Students who are U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents, regardless of where they are living or have been educated.

International:  Students, who are not U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents (temporary visa holders, refugees, asylees, commuters from Canada, etc.), regardless of how long they have resided or been educated in the U.S.

Freshmen: Students who will be entering UM-Dearborn following secondary school who have never attended any post-secondary educational institution (college or university), either in the U.S. or abroad.

Transfer Students:  Students who have attended a post-secondary institution, either in the U.S. or abroad.

Abroad: Anywhere outside of the United States.

UM-Dearborn:  Abbreviation for the University of Michigan-Dearborn.

GPA:  Abbreviation for grade point average.

Eligibility for Michigan Residency

Only U.S. Citizens, U.S. permanent residents, refugees and some A, E (primary), G, and I visa holders may apply for Michigan residency for tuition purposes.  In order to be classified as a resident for tuition purposes, students must have an eligible visa classification and must be able to demonstrate compliance with other criteria set forth in the University’s Residency Classification Guidelines.  Any student who does not hold an eligible visa or who does not meet the additional criteria detailed in the Residency Classification Guidelines will be classified as an out-of-state student and will be charged non-resident tuition.

If a student has an eligible visa status and feels that he or she meets the other eligibility criteria in the University’s Residency Classification Guidelines, that student may apply for Michigan resident classification by following the instructions in the guidelines.  All residency decisions are made by the Residency Classification Office located on the Ann Arbor campus of the University of Michigan.  Questions concerning residency status for tuition purposes at UM-Dearborn should be directed to: 

Residency Classification Office
1514 LSA Building, University of Michigan
500 S. State St.
Ann Arbor, MI  48109-1382

Financial Aid

U.S. citizens, permanent residents and other eligible non-citizen immigrants are eligible to apply for federal, state and university need-based aid.  Non-immigrant students (F, G or J series visas) cannot be considered for federal, state or university need-based assistance, but may be eligible to receive the International Student Scholarship.

For further financial aid information, please contact:

Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships

Back to top of page