When should you complete an application?
Application deadlines vary by graduate program. Reviewing our admissions processing timelines can help you plan for the timeframe between application submission and receiving an admission decision. Some graduate programs admit students to all entry terms (Fall, Winter, and Summer) while others limit admission to only one or two terms (Fall and/or Winter). Various programs may offer seven or fourteen week course options for the Summer term. See below for guidelines. For more details, please refer to our academic calendar.
The Online Application is available for Summer 2022, Fall 2022, and Winter 2023 start terms. Summer 2023, Fall 2023, and Winter 2024 will become available mid-September 2022.
Programs With Hard Deadlines and Limited Admit Terms
Select programs review applications with hard deadlines, requiring the online application and all supplemental items to be received by the posted deadline in order to be considered for admission.
College of Engineering and Computer Science:
- Automotive Systems and Mobility (DEng)
- Computer and Information Science (PhD)
- Electrical and Computer Engineering (DEng)
- Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering (PhD)
- Industrial Systems and Engineering (PhD)
February 1 for Fall Term only
College of Education, Health, and Human Services:
March 15 for Fall Term only
College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters:
March 15 for Fall Term only
Programs With Rolling Admissions
All other graduate programs not listed above operate on a rolling admissions basis, meaning a file can be routed for admission consideration once complete. We recommend all required documents be submitted by the posted deadline in order to receive an admission decision for your preferred term. Most programs with rolling admissions will continue to accept applications and supporting materials beyond the deadline if there is space available. The final day to submit a new application is generally two weeks prior to the start of classes.
For deadline information for non-degree programs (Graduate Certificates, Graduate Guest, Graduate Non-Candidate for Degree), please refer to the Non-Degree Application Procedures.
Final Day to Submit Summer 2022 Graduate Degree Application: Wednesday, April 20th
The degree-seeking graduate application for Summer 2022 will close at 11:59 PM EST on Wednesday, April 20th. Exceptions beyond this deadline must have the approval of the program director. All supplemental items must be submitted for an exception to be considered.
Domestic Applicants (Rolling Admissions):
The following deadlines have been established for applicants with U.S. transcripts that do not require a student visa:
Fall Term - August 1
Winter Term - December 1
Summer Term - April 1
International Applicants (Rolling Admissions):
The following deadlines have been established for international applicants requiring a student visa and applicants with transcripts from outside the U.S. to allow adequate time for transcript evaluation and processing of student visas. There are separate deadlines set by the Office of International Affairs in order to have a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20/DS-2019) issued. For more information, visit the Office of International Affairs.
Deadline for applying if a student visa is required
Deadline for applying with transcripts from outside the U.S. (no student visa required)
Applicants who intend to study on a student visa are required to attend full-time (generally equivalent to 3 graduate courses). Due to limited course offerings in the summer term, the following programs do not admit international applicants for the summer term:
- Accounting (MSA)
- Dual Degree: Accounting (MSA)/Finance (MSF)
- Artificial Intelligence (MS)
- Automotive Systems Engineering (MSE)
- Bioengineering (MSE)
- Business Administration (MBA)
- Dual Degree: Business Administration (MBA)/Finance (MSF)
- Dual Degree: Business Administration (MBA)/Health Services Administration (Ann Arbor)
- Dual Degree: Business Administration (MBA)/Industrial and Systems Engineering (MSE)
- Dual Degree: Business Administration (MBA)/Information Systems (MS)
- Dual Degree: Business Administration (MBA)/Supply Chain Management (MS)
- Business Analytics (MS)
- Computer and Information Science (MS)
- Cybersecurity and Information Assurance (MS)
- Data Science (MS)
- Environmental Science (MS)
- Finance (MSF)
- Human Centered Design and Engineering (MS)
- Information Systems (MS)
- Marketing (MS)
- Materials Science and Engineering (MSE)
- Mechanical Engineering (MSE)
- Software Engineering (MS)
- Supply Chain Management (MS)