UM EAlert - Dearborn - 4:25 pm - Due to the inclement weather, all evening classes are pivoting online or are canceled. Check with your professor. Beginning at 6 pm all on-campus activities are canceled. Library services available virtually. Please check for additional information.

Admitted Graduate Students

Congratulations on your admission to a graduate program at the University of Michigan-Dearborn!

When you attend graduate school at UM-Dearborn, you’re not only earning a Michigan degree on a small, supportive campus. You’re also getting a top-notch, nationally recognized education.

  • US News & World Report ranks UM-Dearborn #4 among public universities in the Midwest.
  • US News & World Report ranks UM-Dearborn #12 for Top Performance in Social Mobility. 
  • The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching awarded us the Community Engagement Classification for our commitment to being deeply engaged with our community through teaching, learning, research and service that makes a difference. 

See more about what sets our institution apart.  

Please visit our website for information on UM-Dearborn's COVID -19 response

The information below will help guide you through your next steps as you prepare to enroll. If you have further questions regarding next steps, we recommend reaching out to your admitting department for guidance. 

First Steps

Official Admit Letter

You have received a congratulatory message from the Office of Graduate Studies through your application portal. Your admitting department is preparing an official letter to be sent with further details regarding your program.

MS in Psychology Students Only

Submit your Enrollment Verification Form and $50 enrollment deposit to the Office of Graduate Studies to secure your place in the cohort. 

Note: In order to have the deposit properly credited to your student account, graduate students should not use the web-based platform intended for undergraduate students.  

Set Up Email Account

Email account information will be sent by email from IT Accounts ( to the email account used on your admission application. Activate your UMich email account based on instructions provided. University communications are sent to your UMich email account, so be sure to check it regularly!

Complete the FAFSA and Apply for Scholarships

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available online. Be sure to look into graduate scholarships for aid as well!

Submit Financial Documents (International Students Only)

Applicants who plan to enroll as an F1 or J1 visa student must provide additional information upon offer of admission to the Office of International Affairs (OIA), who manages the student visa process and Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). 

Please note, the OIA is accepting all international student and scholar paperwork, applications, and documentation via email:

In order for OIA to process an I-20/DS-2019, you must submit documentation indicating that you (or your sponsor) have sufficient funds to support your education at UM-Dearborn. Estimated annual expenses are $44,000 U.S.  All supporting documents must show that you or your financial supporter has at least $44,000 U.S. dollars available.

You must submit the Financial Affidavit form and an original bank certification (in English) from your financial supporter, converted to U.S. dollars, showing that the account balance of the financial supporter is at least $44,000 (per academic year) to cover the tuition, fees, and living expenses you will incur while attending UM-Dearborn.

Financial aid is not available to students on F or J visas. Therefore, you must demonstrate full financial support before a UM-Dearborn I-20 form can be issued for you. Also, all F and J visa students must have health insurance that meets U-M requirements for yourself and any accompanying F-2 or J-2 dependents during the entire time you are enrolled.  If you have health insurance that provides coverage that is comparable to the U-M Health International Student/Scholar Health Insurance Plan, you can request a waiver for the health insurance requirement. 

Any questions should be directed to OIA

Newly Admitted International Student Resources

Please take your time and read through the information provided in the links below to prepare for your arrival in the United States.

Incoming International Students

Prepare to Arrive

Consider reaching out to existing international student organizations with any student experience-related questions. The below listed organizations have current graduate students in their leadership and consider part of their mission to help new graduate students settle in. They are a great resource and an avenue to help develop community before arrival.

Graduate International Student Organization 




VictorsLink Page

Indian Graduate Student Association 




VictorsLink Page

Chinese Student and Scholar Association

VictorsLink Page

President’s QR Code (Please add him and he will invite you to the WeChat group)

Gearing Up

Register for Classes

In order to register for courses, you will need to login with your uniqname and password. Be sure to review relevant policies and key terms

It is important to register for courses as soon as possible. Sections do fill up and a course may be canceled if there are not enough students registered before a certain date. 

Complete Graduate Orientation Activities & Register for a Q & A Session

Complete graduate orientation activities and register for optional Q&A session. 

Submit Final Documents

Do you still need to submit final official transcripts, degree certificates, etc?  This must be done before the end of your first admit term or you will not be able to register for additional courses.  Submit all materials to the Office of Graduate Studies

COVID-19 Campus Policies

Vaccine Requirement
All University of Michigan students, faculty, and staff are required to receive an approved COVID vaccine, including booster shot, with limited exceptions. This policy was developed to protect our community from COVID-19 infections. You are encouraged to view our website for additional information and answers to frequently asked questions. 

How to Report Your Vaccine
All students must report their vaccination record. Following your final dose of the COVID-19 vaccine or booster when eligible, complete a brief survey — accessible from the COVID-19 resources on Wolverine Access — and upload an image of your COVID-19 vaccination card or the appropriate documentation from a medical professional confirming vaccination. Visit Wolverine Accesssearch for COVID-19 resources and click on the Report my Vaccination box to complete this process. 

Face Covering Policy
The University of Michigan currently has a face covering policy in place. The policy requires all faculty, staff, students, and visitors to wear a face mask covering the mouth and nose at all indoor venues and on university transportation, regardless of vaccination status. Extensive research shows that transmission of COVID-19 is greatly reduced and lives are saved when all individuals wear face coverings while in public. 

Exceptions to this policy include instances when an individual is alone in a single enclosed private office with the door closed; actively eating or drinking; receiving a service that requires them to temporarily take off their face covering along with other limited exclusions. A complete list of the exemptions can be found in the policy

Nearly There

MCard (Student Identification Card)

Current students can obtain an MCard in the University Center with proof of current registration. 

Parking Permits

Registered students can obtain a parking permit from the Parking Services Office with proof of current registration and a valid UMID. 

Campus Shuttle

Do you plan on taking the campus shuttle? Be sure to check the current schedule for pickup times between buildings.

Checking In (International Students Only)

A physical check-in process is required prior to the start of classes. Be sure to plan your travel dates accordingly. 

Take A Campus Tour (Optional)

Interested in learning more about campus? Limited 60-minute walking campus tours are offered for new admitted graduate students before the start of term. Registration is available through the graduate orientation webpage.

Participants should plan to arrive at the Office of Graduate Studies (1055 Administration Building) 15 minutes prior to the start of the tour to check in. 

Pay Your Bill

Be sure to check tuition due dates, payment methods, and policies

Interested in paying tuition in monthly installments, rather than one lump sum? Learn more about payment plans

Ready, Set, Go!

Classes Begin!

Make sure you know when classes start and other important dates from the Academic Calendar

Buy Your Books

Visit the Barnes & Noble bookstore online or at the University Center (UC) to purchase your books. 

Familiarize Yourself with Canvas

Canvas is the home for all online courses, as well as some assignments, discussions, and resources for hybrid and on-campus classes.

Understand Your Degree Requirements

A web-based audit tool, Degree Works can be used to help understand your progress to degree and to map your “what if” academic scenarios.   The graduate catalog and any program-specific handbook should also be reviewed.  

Change in Start Term Needed?


If a change in start term is needed, a deferral request must be sent to the Office of Graduate Studies via the Graduate Admissions Deferral Request Form. It is recommended that the request be received by the advisory deadline for the new requested term of entry.

Applications are normally valid for one academic year from your initial term of application. We understand the coronavirus outbreak has resulted in a change of plans for many students. We are currently considering deferral requests beyond one year for Master's level students.  Doctoral student deferral requests are always reviewed on a case by case basis by the program.

All documents previously submitted will be transferred to the new term along with your admission if you are eligible for a deferral. If you choose to attend another university in the meantime, your application will require a second review by the Faculty Review Committee with official transcripts from that institution.

Processing of deferral requests is completed in order of receipt, with immediate upcoming deadlines prioritized. 

International Students

If you are in need of a student visa, a new I-20 will need to be issued for the term you select. Additional financial documentation may be required if materials on file are older than one year. 

Office of Graduate Studies

1055 -
Administration Building (AB)
Back to top of page